Tuesday, March 01, 2011

bury me on the lone prairie

"Cremation" according to the governing laws of the Texas Funeral Service commission [CHAPTER 711. GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO CEMETERIES] means the irreversible process of reducing human remains to bone fragments through extreme heat and evaporation, which may include the processing or the pulverization of bone fragments.

Someone in Institute class asked yesterday why the Church 'frowns' upon cremation.
There was no clear answer.
I have been clear for my entire adult life and remain firm, despite having joined the Church 3 years ago.
I want to be cremated
. For two reasons.
One, I do not want my children to feel obligated to visit a grave site which contains nothing but remains of a decaying body that was once mine to use while on this earth. My soul will have long departed.
Yes. I firmly believe I will be reunited with my body one day.
I know Heavenly Father can do all things.

Two, there is increasingly less space left on the earth. We worry more and more about our carbon footprint, I do not need to leave a 6 foot imprint.
This box?
It's a garden box my son built for me so that unlike last year when I toiled hard to dig out grass and clear an actual garden plot that ended up feeding rabbits, I can plant veggies and the bunnies can't reach them as easily.
My plan B I said, was that if I die, they are to toss me in under the veggies [See: Johnny Depp Movies:: Secret Window]
What, no it's not weird

2 comments:

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Haha I love this post :) Seriously, toss me into the flower bed! Or somewhere off the Oregon Coast...
I saw the movie too! Hee hee.

Hope you are having a happy Sunday!
xo

Teena in Toronto said...

I was just talking with a co-worker about this this morning. How weird is that?! I too want to be cremated so the same reasons. I want my ashes to be mixed in with those of all the pets I'll have and have us all tossed into the ocean (I love the ocean!).

Happy blogoversary :)

Share!